[Seaside-dev] Load failure of Seaside3 into Squeak 5.2alpha

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sun Oct 7 17:47:34 UTC 2018

Hi all

> On 07.10.2018, at 19:37, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2018-10-07, at 2:00 AM, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I've tested loading of Seaside with all of the methods you described:
>> - GitHub: works (3.2.5)
>> - Quick Install: works (3.2.5)
>> - SqueakMap: works (3.2.5)
>>

> Hmm, interesting.
>
>> I've tested this by creating an up to date Squeak-trunk image with SmalltalkCI locally.
>> Can you give me a step by step instruction on how and wher you obtain your 5.2 image until the point where you get an error? I didn't see a single one and definitely did not have to hack the platform attributes.
>
> Well it is/was just a recent (#18199 update level) squeak image. I loaded Metacello via the 'quick install snippet proffered on the squea.org/project page
>
> Installer swasource
>  project: 'SwaUtilities';
>  addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>  install.
>
> "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap' symbolic version"
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project version: #'previewBootstrap') load.

Yea. So the problem here is, that the Metacello Bootstrap somehow loads an old version of WebClient, which can cause all sort of problems.

This is the version I use when Preparing pre-made images for our in-house use:

"-=-=-=-=-="
Installer gemsource
	project: 'metacello';
	addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
	install.

"Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap' symbolic version"
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
	version: #'previewBootstrap') load.

"Quickfix"
Installer squeak
	project: 'squeak51'; "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< or trunk. depending on the base image"
	install: 'SqueakSSL-Core';
	install: 'WebClient-Core';
	yourself.

"Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
	configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
	version: #stable;
	repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
	load.

"Now load latest version of Metacello"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
	baseline: 'Metacello';
	repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
	get.
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
	baseline: 'Metacello';
	repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
	onConflict: [:ex | ex allow];
	load.

"This one is important because we have a minor issue with pragma-based Preferences going away without the Preferences noticing..."

Preferences removeAllPreferencesSuchThat: [:ea | ea provider == MCGitBasedNetworkRepository].

HTH
	-Tobias