[Seaside] Re: Template caching

Avi Bryant avi@beta4.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Nevin Pratt wrote:

> Now, the reason I don't used IAFileTemplate is because I don't want the
> template built directly from the file, which is what IAFileTemplate
> wants me to do.  I instead want to read the html from the file, then
> programmatically edit it (to handle a few html idiosyncracies
> automatically), then build the template.

I might suggest a subclass of IAFileTemplate that does these automatic
modifications, so that you still get the automatic update when the file
changes on disk.  Better yet, write a subclass with a "debugging mode" you
can globally turn on or off that always reloads and remodifies the file.

Are these programmatic edits that couldn't be handled by the macro system?
I'm not saying that changes very much - you still do have to manually
flush the caches when you modify your macro code, unless you've got a
debugging mode as above.  But since that's what the macro system's there
for, I'm curious what you're doing that can't be easily expressed in it.