[Seaside] Re: Template caching

Nevin Pratt nevin@smalltalkpro.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:34:59 -0600

Avi Bryant wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Nevin Pratt wrote:
>
>I might suggest a subclass of IAFileTemplate that does these automatic
>modifications, so that you still get the automatic update when the file
>changes on disk.

I <was> going to do that, but didn't think it had much value when I
realized it was my code that was modifying the template, and not
necessarily the template file that was changing.  Furthermore, I wasn't
aware of the cache at the time.  I also wondered why IAFileTemplate even
bothered to check  if the file had changed, because I didn't think
template building was a high-overhead activity, and didn't think it was
that big of a deal to just update every time.  But I think you can see
some of these comments reveal inexperience with the framework (even *I*
can see that now :-).

Subclassing IAFileTemplate might, in fact, be the best way.  I'd
probably only have to override #parseTemplate, and hook my programmatic
editing in there.

>Are these programmatic edits that couldn't be handled by the macro system?
>I'm not saying that changes very much - you still do have to manually
>flush the caches when you modify your macro code, unless you've got a
>debugging mode as above.  But since that's what the macro system's there
>for, I'm curious what you're doing that can't be easily expressed in it.

I haven't wrapped my brain around the macro system yet, so I can't
answer that.  Again, though, you might be right.  I just don't know.

Nevin