[Seaside] blank page bug

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Apr 29 01:41:25 CEST 2003

Ok, so here's the scoop.

The problem Nevin and others were reporting with occasional blank pages
showing up in 2.3 is not an OS X or VM specific bug - the reason I wasn't
seeing it seems to be that my browser was somehow hiding it from me rather
than that it didn't exist on my system.  The cause of the bug is the
implementation of WAProcessMonitor>>timeout.  This controls how long one
incoming request on a session waits before preempting the previous one in
the same session.  I had put some tricky code in there to try to avoid
waiting for the timeout when resuming a session after debugging, but it
seems to have been too tricky, and was sometimes returning 0 seconds when
it shouldn't have been, causing requests to be prematurely terminated.
At any rate, changing #timeout to simply return the 'timeout' inst var
fixes that problem:

WAProcessMonitor>>timeout
  ^ timeout

This should be easy for people using 2.3b to change in their images.

I was led astray for a long time by another problem, which is that both
Safari and IE on OS X frequently fail to connect to the Comanche server at
all, leading to "could not display this page" error messages.  This only
seems to happen when connecting to OS X, from OS X, and only with those
browsers (I tried Camino, for example, and it was fine).  I have no idea
what's going on here - OS X users should simply avoid those browsers until
someone figures this out.  Note that connecting with those browsers to
Seaside running on a linux VM (or possibly even to OS X on another
machine) works perfectly, so it shouldn't usually be a problem for
deployment, only development.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.  Hopefully it also clears the way
for a 2.3 release.  Has anyone that has been using 2.3b seen any other
problems that should be addressed first?

Avi