[Seaside] Which db with Seaside?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Aug 26 14:26:55 CEST 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Giovanni Giorgi wrote:

> The free version of Omnibase seems hard to be userful (no GC!).

True, although I can imagine some applications where you don't want to
throw away any data, ever, and that wouldn't be so bad.  Also, I bet
it would be fairly easy to write a "compress" routine that basically
copied from one DB to another, which you could run every week or so...
this might eliminate the need for GC.  I wonder if David would consider
this "cheating"?

> What about Minnestore? I know it well (I have done the port to VW 3.0)
> but I think magma is faster.

I find Minnestore an odd beast - halfway between an OODB and O/R. Have you
had good success with it?

It also doesn't seem to be very well maintained anymore, is that
impression correct?

> > You might also look at PostgreSQL with either GLORP (for high level
> > o/r mapping) or Roe (for lower level control).
>
> So GLORP is a good solution?!

I've never used it in production.  I've also grown somewhat wary (and
weary) of that brand of O/R mapping (well, really of O/R mapping in
general).  But as these things go it seems pretty good.