[Seaside] seaside with mod proxy: mapping urls to applications

Julian Fitzell seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Jan 13 22:40:27 CET 2003

Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> I'd like to address this mapping issues again (see my suggestion below):
>

>>No, mod_proxy is supposed to work transparently. The issue is that
>>we're using it for *reverse* proxying. It makes an apache server map
>>part of its url space onto the url space of another server. That works
>>fine as long as all the links on pages that get served through the
>>proxy are relative.
>>
>>The problem is that Seaside produces urls with an absolute path
>>component. Because of this, mod_proxy can only be set up to map url
>>spaces in such a way that the path exposed to the browser is the same
>>as the one used by seaside. So Derek's example of mapping /calendar/ to
>>/seaside/sandcaster/ won't work.
>>
>>So there are a couple ways to solve this. One is to (as you suggest
>>above) add a configuration option so we can specify the path prefix to
>>use for generated urls. Another would be to make the generated urls
>>completely relative. (But that might involve lots of ../../ type stuff,
>>depending on the url scheme.)
>

> I too think, that making the urls relative is the easiest solution. This
> means that there is no "/seaside/appname/3?213" anymore but only "3?213"
> instead. This will solve the probem that arises if you want to map
> www.mydomain.com/myapp/  to localhost:1234/seaside/myapp1/. And there will
> be no .../.../ because Seaside always stays in the same directory. Or am I
> missing something?
>
> Maybe a new option could be added to the configuration of applications
> where - like cookies - could be said if relative or absolute urls should be
> used.

Well it seems to me that is used to be a problem because the urls had
several sections separated by /'s, and thus you couldn't just change the
last segment.  With the newest url scheme it should be much easier to
use relative links in general, although to use a new entry point (which
I guess would include semi-static resources - do we still do those that
way?) you'd have to use ../entrypoint/key.  As long as you were mapping
to the app/ level of the url and not the entrypoint, I think that would
still work...

Julian
--
julian@beta4.com