[Seaside] seaside with mod proxy: mapping urls to applications

Adrian Lienhard seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Jan 13 21:32:54 CET 2003

I'd like to address this mapping issues again (see my suggestion below):

> No, mod_proxy is supposed to work transparently. The issue is that
> we're using it for *reverse* proxying. It makes an apache server map
> part of its url space onto the url space of another server. That works
> fine as long as all the links on pages that get served through the
> proxy are relative.
>
> The problem is that Seaside produces urls with an absolute path
> component. Because of this, mod_proxy can only be set up to map url
> spaces in such a way that the path exposed to the browser is the same
> as the one used by seaside. So Derek's example of mapping /calendar/ to
> /seaside/sandcaster/ won't work.
>
> So there are a couple ways to solve this. One is to (as you suggest
> above) add a configuration option so we can specify the path prefix to
> use for generated urls. Another would be to make the generated urls
> completely relative. (But that might involve lots of ../../ type stuff,
> depending on the url scheme.)

I too think, that making the urls relative is the easiest solution. This
means that there is no "/seaside/appname/3?213" anymore but only "3?213"
instead. This will solve the probem that arises if you want to map
www.mydomain.com/myapp/  to localhost:1234/seaside/myapp1/. And there will
be no .../.../ because Seaside always stays in the same directory. Or am I
missing something?

Maybe a new option could be added to the configuration of applications
where - like cookies - could be said if relative or absolute urls should be
used.

Adrian