[Seaside] Re: Cann't show Unicode String from dynamic IDs ( kuo )

Avi Bryant seaside@lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Jan 14 01:26:15 CET 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, [big5] =B3=A2=BF=ED=B0=EA wrote:

> Thanks very much! the problems all go away after changing that method to
> "^self" as you instructed. The IAApplications all run happily and stably
> without effect and my Chinese characters displayed correctly on the web
> page! How amazing it is.  By the way, somethings may be stupid to ask:

> 1). You mentioned that it might be a temporary way to do so, but the
> results are fine, are there other better resolutions that this one?
> please let me know.

Well, #seaEscapeHtml does two things - one is to convert from Squeak's
encoding (actually a Mac OS encoding, I think) to iso.  I imagine this
isn't needed (or wanted) on Dolphin.  The other is to replace characters
like > with HTML entities (>).  This, you probably still want to do.
However, maybe Dolphin already has a method for doing that escaping that
could be used instead?

> 2). Is the problems only specifically occurred on
> this relatively primitive edition, V0.92 which is the only version
> available on Dolphin ( I used Dolphin because it is mature, Unicode
> compatible, stable and elegant Windows integration ), is the future
> edition of version 2.0 ups available which will solve any Unicode
> problems even on Squeak platforms? thanks again in advance.

I don't know anything about Unicode on Squeak; I don't think there's any
support for it in the base image, anyway.  As for Seaside 2.0, right now
it doesn't have any equivalent of #seaAsHtml, but that's mostly due to
laziness on my part... at any rate, the problems you had are good to keep
in mind for the future.