[Seaside] Seaside 2.5a on SqueakMap

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Apr 15 10:41:03 CEST 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 1:23 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
>> * misc enhancements:
>> - use form/query params for session and continuation IDs instead of
>> URL
>> segments
>
> what was the motivation behind this change?

A number of people requested it, and since it doesn't make much
difference to me either way, I complied.  The argument is that users
(both real live ones and search engine spiders) will have an easier
time understanding which parts of the URL to ignore when bookmarking,
crawling, etc.

> is there something in the new version that would allow components to
> add
> things to URL easily? say named anchors...
>
> ideally the active component should be asked for additions to URL
> before
> redirect happens, so that I can change URL params as a result of a
> submit
> button pressed etc.

Yes, this happens.  #updateUrl: is sent to every visible component, and
they can do whatever they like to the URL object.  Named anchors is an
interesting use of this that I hadn't thought of - WAUrl doesn't know
about them yet, but I'll add that ASAP.  And thanks, because I've been
wondering how to best do named anchors for a long time, and that's a
reasonable solution.

Avi