[Seaside] Seaside meaning ?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Apr 16 00:19:51 CEST 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 2:55 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> during a presentation of seaside i made for some friends, someone ask
> me  about the meaning of Seaside name. I read something about
> aubergines on the seaside swiki, but i didn't get the pun ... maybe a
> private joke ?

Yes, basically a private joke.  The original acronym was Squeak
Enterprise Aubergines Server Integrated Development Environment.  This
was a play on both "Enterprise Javabeans" and "Enterprise Objects"
(part of Apple's WebObjects, which was a major inspiration for
Seaside).  There was also some intended kinship with the CLEE (Common
Lisp Enterprise Eggplants) project - not sure if this is still around
or not.

These days, though, it's just a name.  Though an appropriate one, for
me, because I live on the coast and am happiest sitting by the sea...

> BTW, i have made a french presentation of Seaside and the pdf slides
> are available here :
> http://www.iutc3.unicaen.fr/serge/SergeStinckwich/2004-04#02

Merci, ils sont des bien beaux transparents.

Avi