[Seaside] error in block context

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Feb 13 20:48:16 CET 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 11:22 AM, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> i got an error 'Attempt to evaluate a block that is already being
> evaluated.'
> BlockContext(Object)>>error:
> BlockContext>>valueWithArguments:
> BlockContext>>value
> WAActionCallback>>trigger
> WACallbackStore>>processRequest:
>
> this was an email from my production server so i don't know any details
> and i can't reproduce it on my computer either. any ideas where/how/why
> this could be happening? i'm using seaside 102

Hm.  I've never seen that happen on a callback before.  What it means
is that you got partway through evaluating that block at some point and
then had some very abnormal termination so that the stack didn't get
cleaned up.  Then when you try to evaluate the same block again (must
be from backtracking) the system is unhappy.  But exactly what that
abnormal termination could have been I don't know - I usually only run
into this in the bowels of exception handling code.  The workaround I
use there is to use a MessageSend instead of a block.

At one point I think it might have been possible to get this error if
you did a #call: from inside the handler block of #on:do:.  I know I
fixed that but I'm not sure by what version (I would think 102 would
have the fix).  Do you ever do that?

You don't have any more stack info (like, that would show you what the
home method of that BlockContext is)?