[Seaside] VisualAge

Thomas Koschate koschate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:30:21 CEST 2005

Cees De Groot wrote:

>Just doublechecking: as I've just started a project that's about
>giving an existing application a web interface, is it still correct
>that Seaside cannot be ported to VisualAge?

That's right, you can't get there from here.  It's about restoring the
stack...

>Any experience with the web stuff that comes with VA? I've been given
>mostly carte blanche, the whole range from 'VA does everything' to
>'export data with SOAP or something and build a PHP front' is
>permitted, so I'm researching my options here :)

The VA Web Connection isn't actually too bad, depending on what you want
to do.  There's some challenges.  For instance, the "out-of-the-box"
examples, using the embedded VA HTTP server won't display embedded
images and such, so what you see in the composition editor is not what
you see in your browser.  I've done some hacks that allow one to launch
a server that will serve up both Web Connect and act as an HTTP file
server - it was useful in creating a stand-alone web services server, too.

Like Seaside, documentation runs out pretty quickly, leaving you to your
own devices.  Unfortunately, the Web Connect developer community is
probably much smaller than the Seaside community, so you've got even
fewer resources to draw upon.

Tom

-=-=-
... Lord, give us the wisdom to utter words that are gentle and tender,
for tomorrow we may have to eat them.