[Seaside] VisualAge

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:02:16 CEST 2005

On 8/11/05, Thomas Koschate <koschate at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's right, you can't get there from here.  It's about restoring the
> stack...

Fair enough :)

> The VA Web Connection isn't actually too bad, depending on what you want
> to do.

I noticed, and decided to stick with it for the time being. The other
people on the project have quite a bit of VA experience, but not a lot
of Web knowledge, so leaving them with tools they know might be quite
an advantage. Usually I shy away from these glitzy graphical tools,
but with the Smalltalk source code at hand, it looks manageable so
far.

>  There's some challenges.  For instance, the "out-of-the-box"
> examples, using the embedded VA HTTP server won't display embedded
> images and such, so what you see in the composition editor is not what
> you see in your browser.  I've done some hacks that allow one to launch
> a server that will serve up both Web Connect and act as an HTTP file
> server - it was useful in creating a stand-alone web services server, too.

If you wouldn't mind sharing these hacks, I'd be much obliged.

> Like Seaside, documentation runs out pretty quickly, leaving you to your
> own devices.  Unfortunately, the Web Connect developer community is
> probably much smaller than the Seaside community, so you've got even
> fewer resources to draw upon.

Yeah... Oh well, I'm paid per-hour so finding things out ain't that bad... ;)