[Seaside] Re: Database Integration

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Fri Jun 2 00:14:27 UTC 2006

Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> I'm not sure whether the complete abstraction is only a positive  thing.
> The fact that RoR just "does it for you" may be nice for demos  and
> simple apps but if your needs get more complex you want to have  some
> sort of control.

Whether or not it can handle more complex needs,
it's a marketing goldmine, and an easy entry point
for newcomers.

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 18:31 , Dan Shafer wrote:
>> One of the main things Rails does for you as a developer is
>> completely abstract out the necessity of dealing with the database.
>> ...  or is it in the planning stages or what?

Working on it, but stalled due to paying gig (non-ST).
Currently, I can "scrape" the postgres schema to yield
the classes, and a simple form-based interface. The next
step, would be to infer the relationships from either
foreign key constraints or field naming conventions.
I'm hoping this will be enough attract and hold newcomers.