[Seaside] Amazon EC2

Jason Johnson jbjohns at libsource.com
Fri Sep 8 17:37:21 UTC 2006

Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Jason Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Right, but what I am saying is, the users (e.g. AOL users) are using
>> some ISP for internet access.  When they try to hit your page, their
>> PC sends a DNS request to whoever it's configured for, which will be
>> the ISP (e.g. AOL) servers.  The ISP servers will ask the root
>> servers, find you and give the answer, but they (or they used to)
>> ignore the TTL field.  They just run a modified version of BIND or
>> whatever with the cache time hard coded to 2 days.  So for the next 2
>> days all users that use the effected ISP server will hit that cache.
>> That wouldn't mean all of AOL for example, but some percentage.
>>
>> Now I don't know how systems that us Dynamic DNS are getting around
>> this, but I guess they are so it probably wont be a problem.  All I
>> know is I changed over my domain some months back and I couldn't get
>> to my site for 2 days by name because of it.
>>
>> If this reminder is irrelevant for whatever reason, I apologize.  I
>> was trained for nearly a decade to point such things out. :)
>
> No, thanks for explaining, I understand now.  That seems like
> obnoxious behavior on the part of AOL, but it would definitely pose a
> problem for the strategy I proposed.  Does anyone have any more data
> on whether this still happens and how DynDNS etc get around it (if
> they do)?
>
> Avi

Yea, it does seem obnoxious.  But nearly all (if not all) ISP's in the
US used to do this (and I would imagine still do).  Earlier bandwidth
was small and expensive and the ISP's wanted to eliminate any traffic
they could.  DNS was a low hanging fruit because most of the ISP
customers will wind up going to the same sites.