[Seaside] Re: Image shutdown/startup on demand

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 23:42:49 UTC 2006

Dear William,

>> What do you mean by "keeping all the images up to date"?
>> I thought you had in mind one image per application (or more
>> than one application), for all users of that application.
>> Are you thinking of one image per user?
>
> I mean code changes, bug fixes, and other things that you might want
> pushed out to all similar images.

My current approach to handling this is to put all the data for the app
in a database. I am using magma. In this case updating code changes and
bug fixes is just a case of updating the one image, and all users/apps
deployed servers share the same image. To extend this scheme''s
usefulness it might be an idea to put the seaside/config configurations
in the database as well so that they too can be set at runtime. This is
not something that I have tried yet.

Another more challenging but altogether possible approach might be to
put the code-base in the magma repository, and have that shared among
several images. Committing a change to a class, or the whole codebase,
into the repository can then be automatically replicated across the
servers instantly (or at a suitable juncture i.e. as soon as they go
quiet, expire sessions etc.)

how about it?

Keith