[Seaside] Cincom Supporting Seaside on VisualWorks

Monty Williams monty.williams at gemstone.com
Tue Jun 19 18:21:12 UTC 2007

I don't view this as competition between Cincom and GemStone. I'm glad
Cincom is putting some weight behind Seaside. Interest in Seaside can only
help grow the market for all Smalltalk vendors.

As for native persistence vs. relational persistence for Smalltalk, they
both are in use today. GemStone's business for over 20 years has been based
on native persistence being better than O/R mapping approaches. The more
people understand objects -- whether that understanding comes from using
Seaside, Smalltalk, Ruby, or Java -- the more they understand the benefits
of native persistence. I'm sure many people using Cincom's Seaside will
still find GemStone to be their preferable persistence solution.

-- Monty