[Seaside] Re: Are Collections threadsafe?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Feb 27 07:22:37 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>  Once you have gathered all that information, post it to Squeak-dev.
>>  There are actually people out there who care about it. They just don't
>>  care very much about editorial comments of the form "TEH SQUEAK SUCKZ!".
>>  If you want a solution, then provide the input that helps other people
>>  resolving your problem. The short form of that equation is:
>>    complaints == no data
>>    no data == no solution
>>  And if you keep this in mind (and your frustration to a minimum) you
>>  will likely find that *with* data the probability of actually fixing
>>  your problems goes up dramatically.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123045.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123508.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123498.html

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here but this is actually
a great example for what I mean. Lukas gave meaningful information in
this exchange and as a result we developed a couple of theories and
disproved them based on available evidence:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123047.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123499.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-December/123511.html

I'm not claiming that you will *always* get to a result that satisfies
your needs but the above is a great example for the kind of discourse
that you can engage in when you provide some actual data. Also, I think
we both learned something in this exchange which is where the real value
lies - if I ever happen to run into a similar situation the data that
Lukas gave will definitely be helpful in tracking this down. And don't
worry, we'll get to it but these are hard problems and I think we simply
haven't got enough data to determine the root cause of the problem. So
if you have more evidence, please share it and please don't be shy to
post repeatedly because that's what is needed to fix it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas