[Seaside] proper way to save image while serving?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Apr 8 23:56:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 11:58:07PM +0200, Michal wrote:

> When using the (squeak) image as a database, what is the proper way to
> save that image on a periodic basis? Doing it the naive way
> (#snapshot: true andQuit: false, called from a #stepAt: method) leads
> to my image locking up or crashing on a regular basis (at least I
> think that this is the cause of the crashes/lockups).
>
> I thought I saw code which rather saves a new version of the whole
> image each time, but I can't find it now. Would that solve the issue?

Michal,

If you are using a Unix (OS X or Linux) platform, and have OSProcess in
your image, then try this:

	UnixProcess saveImageInBackgroundNicely

This will fork a background Squeak to do the image save without locking
up your main server image. You'll need to take care that you have enough
disk space of course, but otherwise this approach will do the save with
no impact at all on your server image.

Dave