[Seaside] Re: Why isn't this a weak dictionary of some ilk?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:04:39 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 Lukas Renggli <renggli at gmail.com>:
>> Can you say more about this? To what extent do weak dictionaries not work?
>
> Earlier versions of Seaside were using weak data structures
> excessively to keep track of application state. The use of weak data
> structures simplified the Seaside implementation considerably, but
> causes a lot of problems under high load:
>
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-November/084328.html
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-March/089449.html
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-March/007258.html
>  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2006-May/007706.html

Lukas, all these topics is about a weak array finalization process,
which is just made for a convenience and on top of  the fact, that VM
supports weak references.
But you are free to implement own finalization schemes(if you need to)
instead of using default one.
I don't see how this related to WeakIdentityDictionary per se.

> At some point we removed all weak data structures from Seaside,
> because it could bring images to a halt when a lots of data was stored
> and eventually finalized. Squeak performance behaved much more
> predictable if we wasted memory.
>
>> Lukas, can you please share a details, what problems you have met.
>> A Weak*** stuff is one of the important parts of the system, and its
>> in our best interests to make it work rock solid.
>
> We would really appreciate a clean solution using weak data
> structures, but at that time we did not find another solution than use
> an ugly workarounds.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --