[Seaside] Deploy via...image or monticello?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 18:57:53 UTC 2010

If you have HA or can afford a potential service interruption, I think
it is very elegant.  Being able to simply push a button and interact
with a full-blown GUI to have assurance of exactly what code is
loaded, along with full interrogation of the running server, that's
pretty nice compared to typing cryptic commands and not necessarily
have that full view.

Having said that, we don't do it at our company (unless an emergency),
because we cannot afford service interruptions.  Loading updated
packages could put the running system temporarily in an inconsistent
state of packages whose combination was never tested.  Perhaps atomic
service while multiple packages are loaded and classes recompiled.  It
also doesn't address object migrations related to new class-shapes,
etc.

Which is why high-availability is a fine tool to have for updates.
Servers of a HA system can be brought down invidually, the software
updated at leisure, and then reinserted into the running node, one at
a time.

No service interruption and no panic if something goes wrong while
updating one server; the others in the node are still running.  That's
nice too.  :)