[Seaside] Re: Session expiration and data cleaning

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 17:48:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Bob Arning <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I wonder if this doesn't point the way...
>
> expire
>     self
>         greaseDeprecatedApi: 'WASession>>#expire'
>         details: 'This method might be reimplemented again. In the meantime,
> if you just want to remove the Session from the Application, use
> WASession>>unregister (#unregistered will be called as a notification
> instead of #expired). Otherwise you should consider adding a Request Filter
> to the Session that implements whatever behaviour you want in order to block
> access to the Session.'.
>     ^ self unregister
>
> as well as...
>
> WACache allInstances do: [ :e | e reap].

What problem exactly are you trying to solve? Do you have to do some
work when the session expires?

It is true that per default we only expire on every n-th session
creation. You can change this by swapping the reapingStrategy
WAAccessIntervalReapingStrategy. However keep in mind that:
 - if somebody just creates sessions but never accesses them you may
still want to reap at some point
 - reaping does not scale well, you have to walk over all the sessions

We are aware that the current situation is suboptimal and are working
on a replacement [1] but that may take a moment.

 [1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2014-February/005710.html

Cheers
Philippe