[Seaside] 'Clean' URLs in Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:33:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Phil (list) <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I managed to get Seaside 2.x to use 'clean' URLs by following Ramon's
> post here http://onsmalltalk.com/clean-urls-in-seaside/  a while back.
> However, some things appear to have changed in 3.x and what needs to
> change to get rid of the _k parameter (i.e. move it into a cookie) is
> different now.  So could anyone with experience in doing this in 3.x
> share what's involved?
>
> Also, it's understandable why passing this in the URL was the way to go
> 5+ years ago, but cookies are pretty widely accepted as requirements on
> many sites these days.

Some countries also have cookie laws (yes, really) that don't apply
when you don't use cookies.

> Is there some reason this hasn't been made a
> simple config option as it was for the _s parameter?  Seems like it
> would be pretty popular...

_k is used to identify the state snapshot. When you hit the back
button you need to get the old _k so that Seaside can revert the
component state. That's why it is technically not possible to
implement it with a cookie. Are you willing to give up state
snapshoting?

Cheers
Philippe