[Seaside] what are the advantages to using Parasol for Selenium vs just using the JS client?

Jupiter Jones jupiter.jones at mail.com
Fri May 15 22:08:20 UTC 2015

Hi Paul,

If you mean writing tests for your seaside/amber app in another language outside the image, then that’s the main reason I chose Parasol/Selenium :)

My tests are written using SUnit and in Smalltalk (just just the rest of my tests and code), are packaged and loaded with Metacello (just like the rest of the application) and worked in both Pharo and GemStone.

Although I’m sure this is true of other solutions, I like how easy it is with Parasol/Selenium to have the same tests run on Safari, Chrome, Firefox, iOS and Android with one click on the test runner.

For testing, if Selenium (and Parasol’s control of selenium) doesn’t limit the ability to interact with the browser over any other solution, then the clincher for me was keeping it all in one language, and one environment.

Cheers,

PS. Maybe it’s just that I’m a Smalltalk addict, however, if my project can keep external solutions and other languages to a minimum, (Smalltalk rather than SQL, HTML Javascript, JSON, XML an so on) then all the better - the front end developers can support back end developers can support the testing team, etc. since they can all read and understand each others code. The only thing missing from the Smalltalk stack is an integrated way of working with SASS and Seaside/Amber… but getting off track.