[Seaside] what are the advantages to using Parasol for Selenium vs just using the JS client?

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Sat May 16 07:25:43 UTC 2015

Parasol gives you the ability to write complete end-to-end tests: simulate the actions of a user in the browser and verify the outcome on the Seaside backend.
This is because you have access to both the Seaside component state and, more importantly, the database used by your app, in the same environment where the test executes.

This means that:
- you can parameterize the tests with the database and the seaside state
- you can verify the outcome of the actions made in the web browser directly in the backend
- you can easily synchronize web browser actions and back-end operations from your unit tests

If you use a client in another language, you will have to find solutions to implement these interactions. Using Parasol, you can use what you had already set up to implement your application anyway.
These are the reasons we implemented and use Parasol, and why just using a binding implemented in another language is hardly an option.

cheers
Johan