[Seaside] Questions about seaside and pharo

Blake McBride blake1024 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 18:47:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:19 AM Ramon Leon <ramon.leon at allresnet.com>
wrote:

> On 06/14/2018 07:39 AM, Blake McBride wrote:
> > Old web architectures that made a lot of sense then aren't really
> > applicable anymore.
>
> They'll always be applicable; the wheel of smart client dumb client will
> never stop turning.  Server based page rendering isn't outdated, it's
> not an either or situation, it's an and situation.  React and Angular
> have not replaced server rendering and Ajax updates of fragments,
> they're merely additional options you now have.  Perfectly fine and
> functional applications can and are still being done in what you call
> the old way and they always will be.

> Give it a few years, the wheel will turn again and dumb clients will
> come back into fashion as they always do and have since the green screen
> mainframe days.

With respect, having personally lived through all of it, there is no
"wheel" of technology.  Each change was motivated and a response to the
available technology at that time.  Having a central data store has always
made sense.  It just wasn't feasible if you were a small company and
couldn't affort a $1M data center.  A PC was better than nothing.  Then, as
technolog cought up and networks became available, we used that.  Now we
have cloud computing that is basically the same as mainframes.  It isn't
because of some "wheel" or a fickeled industry, it's about needs and
feasability.  The industry will never return to PC's!

>  > 1.  Does Pharo support multiple OS/native threads?
>
> No.  What you do is run multiple processes on the backend and load
> balance between them via a proxy. Apache/haproxy, whatever.

Given the limits of processors (and the speed of light), short of  quantum
computers (which are happening), the best scaling choice we have is
multi-processing.

Although running multiple processes and a load balancer does work, the
world is not moving in that direction.  It is a short-term kludge around
the problem.  A multi-threaded aproach allows the OS to manage resources
rather then me (or the Squeak VM)  trying to do it on top of the OS.  The
OS has more global knowledge of what is happening on the machine.

>  > 2.  Can I run Seaside headless?
>
> Of course.

Great!

>  > 3.  The Seaside book at
> http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/restful/nutshell talks about REST
> services in two models but seems to only give an example for the case I
> am not interested in.  Is there a tutorial for the REST centric core model?
>
> Frankly I wouldn't use Seaside if I were attempting RESTful services,
> I'd find another option.  There's probably already a nice Smalltalk REST
> framework, but if not it wouldn't take much effort to hack up something
> like Sinatra in Smalltalk for doing it.

That's disappointing but probably accurate.

Thanks!

Blake McBride