[SoC] Organization help for us Newbies?

Mathieu Suen mathk.sue at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:26:09 UTC 2008

Yes sur.
-------------- next part --------------
Currently, I am preparing a master degree at the university of Savoie in software visualization and remodularization.
I work with Stephane Ducasse under VisualWorks.
I am intrested in language and their semantic.
Therefor, I regard for highly expressive languages such as Lisp or Scheme.
I am also interested in the different language paradigms.

For example, I studied Pepsi, a prototype-based language with a Smalltalk-like syntax.
It was interesting because it is very flexible and adaptive.
For example you can use the concept of classes, you can also redefine the lookup and introduce multiple inheritance with juste one method.

My first contact with Squeak was 2 years ago.
What surprise me is that I know more about Smalltalk than Java even if I have learn Java before.
The productiveness of this language and the simplicity of its syntax strengthen me in helping the community.
For the time being I work with two implementations of Smalltalk: VisualWorks and Squeak.
I have also look at Dolphin and Strongtalk.
Each implementation of Smalltalk has the same metamodel which help a lot to switch between them.

I also got interested in VMMaker.
VMMaker is an implementation of the virtual machine of Squeak written in Slang.
Slang is a language with the same syntax than Smalltalk but it is compiled in C to build the VM.

I have been selected to work for the new compiler of Squeak in the summer 2006.
It was for the Summertalk, an ESUG project that helps 5 students who work for open source Smalltalk projects.
I had implemented the following features:

 - complete support for method pragmas
 - enhanced error messages for the new parser
 - support for parsing and modeling comments
 - many bug fixes and improvements

I am also implementing a scripting language called Sapphir based on the new compiler.
Working with Marcus Denker was a great experience.
I have learnt a lot of things about Squeak and how bytecode are interpreted.
I would be very happy to continue working on the new compiler in particular to improve the decompilation.