MinneStore: Free Smalltalk OODB

John-Reed Maffeo (rlpa80) rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Aug 14 15:43:57 UTC 1998

Kyle,

This sounds great. I hope you do have the time to work on it.

I have been working on ports of other systems as part of my self-paced
Squeak learning project and I heartily recommend it.

In my spare time, I work on ports of a variety of different programs that intrest
me which I have found in the Smalltalk archive. I have managed to get a
couple of simple ones to work as well as getting pits and bieces of
larger ones to work.

Syntatic differences between Squeak and other dialects are challenging. I have
tried two approaches to coding issues: 1. rewrite non-conforming methods of the
source to Squeak. 2. Add methods to Squeak to implement the methods which are being
used.

The second option is the one that I am persuing now. I think that I will get
more
reuseability from my effort by adding compatibility methods to Squeak. That
way I
will be able to port more and more stuff from other Smalltalks with less and less
effort.

Have Fun,

John-Reed