squeak program delivery, etc

Alex Rice alrice at swcp.com
Wed Dec 2 21:37:29 UTC 1998

Greetings, my name is Alex Rice and I'm a Java programmer. I came along
looking for something faster and less bloated and I think I've found it
in Squeak. I'm truly impressed by the philosophy of Squeak.

A couple of newbie questions I still have after reading the FAQ and
skimming the mailing list archives:

1)

How are people delivering Squeak programs? For instance, if I wrote some
interesting little program and wanted to give it to other people, what
form would it take? Would they have to learn the Squeak desktop-browser
paradigm as a prerequisite to using the Squeak program? Can someone give
me an example of something written in Squeak that is intended for use by
non-Squeaking persons? Can a Squeak program have a GUI without having
the desktop and browser too?

2)

Can I use C/C++ code and native libraries from Squeak progams?

3)

Is the Microsoft licensing effecting the development of Squeak at all?
Specifically, is the portability going to remain good, or will there be
a Win32 MS-Smalltalk which the whole world starts using, which will be
incompatible with the real Squeak?

TIA,

--
 Alex Rice <alrice at swcp.com>