VM2.2 and 2.3beta unstable on Linux ?

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.traverse.net
Thu Dec 24 23:28:41 UTC 1998

> RedHat is quite conservative with the C compiler (they want to be
> able to compile the kernel <g>). gcc-2.7.2.3-14. (For C++ they use
> egcs).

  Thank you for this information.  I thought that egcs was being more
widely deployed than that, even to the level of compiling the prod-
uction glibc.  I still have bitter memories of hand hacking assembly
for one platform because the vendor supplied compiler generated buggy
code when the optimizer was used.  While I think the bazaar approach,
ostensibly the means of egcs development, is a nifty approach to some
problems, I worry when it's applied to things as essential as a com-
piler.  I'm not left with the feeling that the bazaar is a place where
proofs get done that often.

Christopher Oliver, Traverse Internet, oliver at traverse.net
  We've secretly replaced their web server with Folgers Crystals.
  Let's see if they notice.