prototypes vs classes was: Re: Sun's HotSpot

Dan Shafer dan at gui.com
Sat Oct 10 20:42:45 UTC 1998

Alan....

I agree, particularly about the way in which the object nature of REBOL
is sort of disassociative. I did see the LOGO resemblance (the OO
version of Logo for the Mac was one of my favorite exploratory tools)
but I don't know BOXER. I'll go look for stuff on it now.

FWIW, my friend and a fellow Squeaker, Laurence Rozier
(lrozier at thepattern.com) and I have been kicking around the idea of
using Squeak to "assimilate" (Laurence's word and key concept) not only
REBOL but also Perl, JavaScript, and Python, in some very interesting
ways that could make the future of the Web -- or whatever succeeds it --
linguisitally richer and more approachable. I'll leave him to expound
further as his thinking progresses.

Ultimately, it's Squeak's expressiveness that _is_ its power.

--