MVC or Morphic (was Re: Achieving escape velocity)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 14 10:18:20 UTC 1999

--On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 11:41 PM -0400 Doug Way <dway at mat.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[mvc or morphic]
> True enough.  I was thinking more in terms of beginners, for whom it would
> be easier to pick one or the other to start out with...

Fair enough.

[snip]
> I've been wondering what are the general reasons as to why Morphic is
> quite a bit slower than MVC... I haven't done any real analysis myself,
> though. Is there more redundant BitBlt-ing going on?  Or is there more
> computation due to several layers of morphs in some cases?  Or has it just
> not been optimized for performance as much as MVC (which is obviously a
> lot more mature)?

My belief and understand is the lack of optimization. I will say that,
without vm enhancments, Morphic when from unusable at all (mouse wouldn't
track sanely) to quite usuable if a bit painful with the move from 1.3 to
2.0 (if memory serves). A bit of evidence ;)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia