GTalK 0.01

Asymptotically Approaching Harmony feoh at cosmic.com
Wed Jan 6 20:19:02 UTC 1999

bacon at aerodyne.com writes:

> On  6 Jan, Joerg Brunsmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if you're interested in native widget support on Linux:
> >
> > http://www.informatik.fernuni-hagen.de/import/pi3/joerg/squeak/gtalk.html
> >
> > J–rg
> >

> Hey!  That was my idea. :-)  Good job.
>
> It would be great to see linux applications export their object
> interfaces to squeak so that it could be used as an extension language.
> I would like to see a push to use this as the extension language for
> GNOME.

*Grumble* i've been barking up that tree for *YEARS*.

Try telling that to a hardened UNIX geek, you'll get "Isn't that what
shell scripts are for?"

Umm. No :)

I really like the user-level abstractions that AppleScript and the
associated AOM (I think that's the right acronym for the app
independent object model that AppleScript leverages) provides and have
been wishing for something like it in UNIX for *YEARS*.

When I write an app I want it to be relatively trivial to export
'methods' that could be called by any arbitrary scripting/extension
language, or even byy other applications <which could themselves be
used as controllers etc>

I would *THINK* that shared libraries and perhaps some other SysVish
IPC mechanism might be the way to go for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, this is all rather off topic for the Squeak list :)

-Chris
|Chris Patti|ICQ#16333120|feoh at cosmic.com|Home #:(617)625-3194|JAPH|
|"I have opposable thumbs, and I can buy a rifle.  I don't need to |
| run from anything." -Todd Finney				   |