PWS and newProcess

russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Tue Jan 5 23:56:09 UTC 1999

G'day!

I am looking at extending PWS by creating a new ServerAction to provide a web interface to an expert system engine (which is a standard stateful C program).

On my quick look at PWS, it seems to be running one process (loopOnPort: portNumber loggingTo: fileName), which when it receives HTTP requests calls (eventually) a ServerAction.  Is this as sequential as it looks or am I missing something?

My concern is that if getting the result of the expert system engine takes a while, then unless the PWS is concurrently handing other sessions, the whole website will stop until the engine is finished.

Can PWS run several ServerActions concurrently?

Also, more generally, are processes in Squeak handled with co-operative multitasking or pre-emptive? I can't find a yield message - but will a higher priority process completely dominate a lower one?

Any help would be appreciated,

Russell