[REQUEST] updated documentation

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Sun Nov 21 16:37:23 UTC 1999

Bijan --

I agree that this is the way it *should* be -- but, at present, the
rhetoric for running code and being able to understand how it got there --
and just what is there -- is quite different. Also, none of the browsers
are good at showing the logic of the larger "application" artifact that the
user encounters. (This is what led me/us long ago to want to have
prototypical instances as exemplars of classes, and to have an "application
browser". The latter would be greatly facilitated if there were more of a
theory for doing such. E.g. Morphic has a theory of how a morph should be
constructed, but there is still not a real Morph browser -- moreover, I
think all would agree that there could be much more of a theory for larger
useful tools, and then we could build a very nice
browser/inspector/explorer/debugger that would make crystal clear how
things are organized and used.
     This is now -- IMO -- a very pressing need. Please contribute ideas.

Cheers,

Alan

-------