[FIX?][ENH?][GOODIE?] CachedFonts/TextStyles/WYSIWYG menus/Musings

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Tue Oct 26 21:53:30 UTC 1999

> Yes!!  I've been hoping that someone would create a bunch of > strikefonts
> at some point (so that I wouldn't have to do it. :-) )  I > think Verdana
> may be my new favorite.

*snip*

> Your screenshot with all the fonts is
> probably worth adding to the screenshots page, too.

I don't disagree with any of these sentiments, I think this is all great stuff.  But as the token lawyer among us, I need to say the seriously unfun thing:  Do we have the rights to those fonts?  Under the Squeak license, certain Apple-owned fonts were within the scope of the license -- are these they?  Are the new strikefonts unauthorized derivative works?

I haven't done the download yet, but someone should check the licenses.  It may be possible that each individual who has an Apple or Microsoft OS may be licensed to use certain fonts provided with those systems, but that we as a community may not be authorized to distribute same to non-licensees.

Perhaps the simple expedient of finding the (C) owner and trying to get permission to use the fonts with the product?  (OR focus instead on providing mechaisms to automate building of these fonts from existings fonts (which the person running the program is presumed to own a license to use if he has it))

At any rate, good work.