Unicode support

Hannes Hirzel Hannes_Hirzel at compuserve.com
Thu Sep 23 22:05:07 UTC 1999

Hi!

1. Unicode page on Swiki
I just gave a try to somehow compile the lively discussion on Unicode
support on

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.857

May I invite you to review and eventually update this page and its
subpages. The mentioned page is considered to be the table of contents. If
you like to come up with a different organization of the page - please do
so.

2. Experimental Implementation of Multilingual Support

There is an existing experimental implementation of multilingual support by
OHSHIMA Yoshiki.
It can be downloaded from
http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html

In the download section there are instructions how to obtain the change set
and the kanji font in bdf format.
Yoshiki - may I ask you to add a sample page for Non-Japanse-speakers?
Possibly also containing English comments?

It would be nice to see a discussion of the merits of this implementation
and possible next steps.

3. References section
On the page http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak.857 there is also a
´references´ section. Please add more links. It would be nice to have
references on the approaches other systems / OS have.

Hannes