Newbie Questions?

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Tue Apr 18 01:40:12 UTC 2000

At 8:00 PM -0400 4/17/00, Norton, Chris wrote:
>BTW:  (Morphic Lurkers)  Is there a way to make my 2.8a preferences revert
>back to the old 2.7 look and feel?  And can I quickly return to my familiar
>2.2 - 2.7 halo configuration?  It seems that 2.8a halos are severely
>restricted.  If you try to look at the halo on a Browser, for example, you
>can only get the halos for its 5 or so submorphs.  You can't get the halo
>for the browser!  Very weird.

Hi, Chris!

(a)  To get the old 2.7 look and feel for preferences, look in
Preferences class method #openPreferencesControlPanel.  In there
you'll see the statement

	true ifTrue: [^ self openFactoredPanel].

If you simply comment that line out, you'll find you'll get the old
style preferences panel, presenting all the preferences in a single
scrolling list.

(b)  Take a look at the preamble for update #1807, "haloRework", to
get an overview of the 2.8a changes to halos.  You'll find that if
hold down the shift key as you make your halo-request gesture, the
*innermost* morph you're over will get the halo (rather than the
outermost), and that successive clicks will move the halo out one
level (rather than in), and that even morphs for which the halo is
not normally desired, such as transformation morphs, drop shadows,
locked morphs, and SystemWindows, will all acquire the halo in turn.
This will have the more familiar feel of earlier versions that you're
thirsting for.

Sorry to have changed some familiar aspects of the UI into unfamiliar
ones!  I *hope* that in time you'll find that the changes both to the
Preferences panel and to halos are improvements -- they certainly
were motivated by numerous comments and suggestions from Squeak users.

  -- Scott