False errors

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Apr 28 15:58:16 UTC 2000

Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> I just want to alert you that I have twice today experience the same, very
> strange error twice: I have been chasing bugs in some old code. Both times,
> after 'fixing' the bugs, I have found that the original bugs are gone, ie.
> no changes were necessary after all, because the code works all right as it
> was.

> My last update was #2040.

I'm not working with the newest update, but a few things that come to my
mind:
- look at the bytecode to see if the code is actually what you think it
is
- may be the bugs be caused by wrongly bound objects like symbols,
characters or other "global" objects?
- is the method compiled for the right class structure?

Especially the last two usually go away by simply recompiling a method,
thereby updating the bindings.

Michael

--
 "To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
                                            Winston Churchill