making more instances of objects in scripting

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Tue Dec 26 21:01:44 UTC 2000

Alan Kay wrote:

> Bob and Karl --
>
> One suggestion is to always use "increaseBy" (found by clicking on
> the carets in the "<-" tile).

Found it. Lots of power under the hood here. I also located
the dot menu, thanks Joshua.

This allows you to say:

>       ship's x increaseBy ship's velocityx
>
> instead of
>
>       ship's x <- ship's x + ship's velocityx
>
> The former illuminates the accumulation, and also gives the kids the
> term "increaseBy" as the name for a very powerful idea, that can be
> used in animation (holder's cursor increaseBy 1), sampling synthesis
> (same expression), etc. Two levels of this gives a nice way to think
> about accelleration (in the spatial world) and about FM synthesis (in
> the acoustic world).

This sounds cool. It could be like a mission control center and have
lots of related data presented, and possibilites to remote control
the ship that way.

> It is also worthwhile to go further in making programs like this
> understandable, e.g. it's pretty easy to use a player on a small
> playfield to show the direction and magnitude of the velocity and
> accelleration -- that is, we are now using a player on its own
> playfield (set the preference under the playfield's menu to "0 at
> center", etc.) as a vector value that can display itself. Then you
> can take the increments for moving the ship from these vector values,
> etc., AND the kid can see the dynamic state of the ship.
>
> With the right kind of wraparound, an "F = ma" game like this will
> work pretty well when shared over the net ....
>
> The first addon modifications at MIT were, first, the starfield
> (slowly rotating as I recall ...?), and then a sun to add a little
> inverse square law to the fun. These can be done geometrically
> without introducing Trig as a direct concept (heh heh).
>          Bob and I did several versions of a sun and a planet in the
> Etoy system, and I think at least one of these is on his
> "SuperSwiki".....

Yes I had a look at it. I'm still just in the starting faces with the
scripting system, but it is really powerfull. It has a quite stiff
learing curve but it's also rewarding in flexibility and power.
I find myself going: aha, that's how it's done ! every ten minutes.

Karl