Of source code lost in eternity

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Thu Jan 13 18:44:05 UTC 2000

Hi!

I second Peter's statement that a lot of people don't have the time anymore
to hunt or search for information in a "mess" of information.  It's a kind
of information-overload.  I like web sites where somebody does the
editor-work to filter informtion and to create nice, clear readable
collections of topics - something like www.linuxtoday.com for example.
This kind of think helps me to stay up-to-date.

Making pages searchable is also an important thing.  I think, Peter and
Stan wound to achieve the same goal here.  It's only that the current wiki
is very poor with searching.  It should be case-insensitive even better
associative (so that you need not the do the spelling 100% correct) and
need to support a combination of ANDed or ORed words.

As a side note: If the swiki would consist of normal web pages, normal
search engines (like altavista or google) would provide this work for us.
A big advantage IMHO.

However, besides keywords or full text search, I'd like to see a
hierarchical index of pages.  This would allow a much faster overview about
the things hidden in a swiki than all other methods.

>This does raise a point: Any repository should probably be written in Squeak
>if it can be, so that members of the Squeak community can maintain it.

A repository should be written in whatever language it would be the fasted.
 Knowing and using only one programming language - even if it's Smalltalk -
is IMHO worse than choosing from a broader range of tools.

>> Yes, I'd subscribe that that last statement.  But instead of
>> believing in
>> the people, I started to wonder whether the tool is right.
>
>If no person uses a tool for a particular job, it may not be the fault of
>the person.

Yes, that's want I tried so say.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.