Squeak Swiki out of order again

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 5 13:57:47 UTC 2000

At 3:32 PM -0400 7/4/00, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>Yes, I've given this some thought.  We should be able to quickly
>build an easily extensible network monitoring and dashboard package,
>complete with e-mail reporting and beeper capabilities, akin to,
>say, NetSaint (an EXCELLENT package by the way).

I wonder if STOMP (http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/27) the testing
suite that Brian Trammell assembled might not already have all the
main pieces -- it can already check servers and return errors.

>In this way, whomever is responsible for maintaining the system will
>know immediately, rather than waiting for the first complaints to
>dribble in from the peanut gallery.

Unfortunately, we don't have anyone "hired" (even at the College
level) to provide 24-7 response on down systems.  It's just too
expensive.  But there is *almost* always somebody in the
Collaborative Software Lab (where our servers live), so a note to
swiki-bugs usually gets systems back up in a few hours.

>Next step: can we build a redundant slave server that can mirror the
>Swiki and take over the IP address if a heartbeat from the primary
>server fails -- now THAT would be something.  Indeed, perhaps we can
>arrange for it to do reasonable load-balancing in the interim?

That can be trickier for us, since our IP's are controlled by a level
above us, but it's certainly possible.

Mark

P.S. Je77 beat me in this morning, and already re-booted Minnow.

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu