A different way of doing Smalltalk development (was: Tales of Dying Objects)

Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
Thu Jul 6 11:29:52 UTC 2000

>> Take a look at:
>> http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/translator.tar.gz
>
>	Wow!
>
>	there's a lot of work done! and it's great!
>	does it really work? (I don't have an ARM machine where to test it,
>	but it generates .s (assembler) files that look OK :)
>
>	I'll really love to try to port it to Intel (I speak some assembler)
>but it looks that the amount of work to be done is... A LOT... is there a clue
>I need to make it easier?

Might I suggest that instead of writing Intel assembler (which will end up
being less than optimized unless you also want to write an Intel code
optimizer) that perhaps it should generate some intermediate compiler
representation (like RTL), like I believe is used for the GCC code
generators. If I'm not mistaken, this would allow instant portability to
any processor supported by GCC (many), with optimizers that have already
had a zillion hours of work.

- Jan