Squeak, NT, CGI and Microsofts web server?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Jun 20 21:54:43 UTC 2000

Stefan wrote...
>See my (very long) email "Tales of ..." which I wrote yesterday
>night.  From that, I started to randomly look at unsent methods and removed
>them one by one by hand finally reaching 1.6 MB.
>
>To go even further, one probably has to remove additional methods,
>candidates are things like ObjectTracer, ObjectViewer, some tools like the
>FileContentsBrowser, or features like versioning (which anyhow break
>without the FCB), remove text attributes and the coresponding streams,
>perhaps remove image segments and everything else of Object Storage.  That
>should give you another 0.2 MB or so.
>
>I don't however know how to reach the 1 MB mark without removing the
>development tools and I don't know how to remove them and still be able to
>test whether everything works.  Perhaps one need a kind of very lean, low
>functionality LeanBrowser...

Stefan -

I go through the process you described with most major releases to check that majorShrink is reasonably effective.  As you discovered, it is out of date right now.  However the last time we had it running right, it would produce a system with all normal browsers and MVC in about 700k.  I'm out of town, but if no one has succeeded here already, I'll do this after 7/1, and document the hard parts of the process (mostly identifying causes for obsolete classes, and dealing with certain large global structures (such as flaps ;-)).

	- Dan