On Schopenhauer and Market-driven code (Was Multimedia)

Lawson English english at primenet.com
Thu Mar 16 19:27:27 UTC 2000

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 6:34 AM, Jarvis, Robert P. \(Contingent\)
<mailto:Jarvisb at timken.com> wrote:
>Having thus established my bona-fidees, I will now provide the Official
>Position of Visual Basic developers on the Squeak list regarding the
>desirability of modifying Squeak to be more VB-like.
>
>Ahem...
>
>NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>AAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not what I suggested. What I suggested iwas that in order for Squeak
to entice more people to try it, a VB scripting "personality" should be
*added*.

This does NOTHING to change the real language that Squeak uses. It would
merely act as a translator from VB to Squeak Smallltalk (or from XTalk to
Squeak Smallltalk) or provide some other way to help in the transition from
the original end-user language to using Squeak.

Squeak should NOT be tied to a specific language, at least from the
end-user's perspective.

"If everyone lived with a sense of wonder, their lives would be filled with
joy."
-Last words of Doug Henning, 5/3/47 - 2/7/00