Why I stopped using Java talk

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Sat Oct 21 22:35:31 UTC 2000

Earlier this semester I gave a talk in the SDSU CS colloquia series titled
Squeak: Inventing the future again, or why I stopped using Java. One goal
of the talk was to show how on paper Squeak and Java might seem similar
(VM, byte codes, class libraries, OO language, cross-platform, IDE, etc)
while demonstrating the differences between them. The talk was done using
Squeak with PowerPoint slides. (Try doing that in Java). I demonstrated
things like flash, Alice, workspaces, browsers, and morphic. While this is
all very routine stuff in Squeak, it made a big impression on the audience.

I showed parts of the talk to a few people at Camp Smalltalk at OOPSLA. They
were interested in getting a copy of the talk. The Squeak image containing
the talk is available via anonymous ftp at:

ftp://rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/whitney/squeak/talkImage/Squeaktalk.tar.gz

Roger Whitney              Mathematical & Computer Sciences Department
whitney at cs.sdsu.edu        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(619) 583-1978
(619) 594-3535 (office)