ARGH! 3.0 Plug-in Download

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Apr 27 15:11:12 UTC 2001

Michael> "Jochen F. Rick" wrote:

>> I always hate it when computers decide that I shouldn't be allowed to do
>> something, especially when I know what I'm doing. This is a terrible way
>> to treat your users. Shame.

Michael> Mea culpa...

Michael> I must confess that I forgot to put in a link allowing users
Michael> to pick the plugin on their own.

Michael> Can you please send the me the id iCab sends so I can add it to the
Michael> detection process?

Uh, no.  Not possible.  iCab has this nice little menu item that lets
you choose ANYTHING to send.  Including spoofing Netscape or IE as
built-in defaults so that you can get around badly-designed websites.
When I'm not doing that, I leave mine set at:

        Mozilla/17.0 (Sony_Playstation)

Just to mess with people's logging programs. :)

The point is, you should autodetect the known ones, and then put up a
menu for unknown.  Don't try to "detect" *all* the known ones.  Don't
force me to download a browser I've already abandoned for iCab.

iCab rocks!