Squeak Foundation suggestion

Joshua Channing Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Apr 14 13:35:43 UTC 2001

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:36:57AM +0200, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
> > One part of this would be a well kept, regularly maintained web presence
> > that gathers together all the appropriate pieces and provides clear
> > concise help on getting them downloaded, installed and started with.
> > Virtually all these are available somewhere or other, but not in a nice
> > clean package. A well thought out bunch of tutorials would make getting
> > started in the squeak life much easier. Several good tutorials exist;
> > combine them as appropriate to make a great one. A decent repository of
> > sources to up to date VM and plugin components is needed; I imagine a
> > CVS database would be a good way to provide that, but whatever is best
> > should be used. This is not to take anything in the way of control away
> > from people that provide the main porting work, more to make sure a
> > clean, tracked, known good set of sources is available to all. A
> > collection of known good projects/fileins/goodies is needed, along with
> > documentation to explain them.
>

> SqueakCentral is developing www.squeakland.org which seems to deal with
> at least some of these questions: tutorials, documentation, easy download
> etc.

I believe that Squeakland is targeted at a different user group than we
are talking about for the Squeak Foundation.  Squeakland is for end users,
who might not have any programming experience and who would be using Squeak
as a personal media tool.  The documentation to be provided by the Squeak
Foundation is for developers who want to use Squeak as an industrial-strength
development platform like (dare I say it?) Java.

Joshua