Dumb question about headless & Nebraska

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Mon Apr 2 18:25:33 UTC 2001

Yes, I implemented the basic protocol and hooked in at the BitBlt level to
successfully get the display on a VNC client.  However, I didn't implement
any of the compression algorithms in VNC, and the bit twizzling that was
required on the Squeak side was a tremendous load on Squeak...so I think you
would have to implement the compression algorithms, write some primitives to
get a speed boost, and play around with where the BitBlt hooks are, and how
often you are generating updates (should be driven by the connection speed).

But, I think it's doable, and I think a protocol like VNC has certain
advantages over protocols like X or Nebraska, particularly as bandwidth
becomes less of an issue in coming years.

I like the all Squeak nature of Nebraska...it would be nice to have a Squeak
VNC client to go with a server.

- Stephen