UNIX downloads? (with Windows answers)

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Fri Apr 6 23:29:54 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> gave possibly the most helpful answer yet.
>
> Is 3.0pre2 the best available VM for Squeak 2.8?  I know perfectly well
> what to do with a 'configure' file, and the variously named INSTALL file
> is sufficiently clear anyway.  What it *doesn't* say, and what I *don't*
> know is whether that version of the VM does actually work with the
> "Squeak 2.8 final" changes and image file.
>
>         So you should be able to just go:
>
>                 mkdir $HOME/squeak
>                 cd build
>                 ../src/unix/configure --prefix=$HOME/squeak
>                 make
>                 make install
>
>         Now, I haven't tried this, but it seems like it should work.
>
> Is there anyone else who _has_ tried it?

Yes, actually I have built a VM on a DEC Unix box running Digital UNIX
V4.0D.

I downloaded the Squeak-3.0pre2.tar.gz file unloaded it into a
$HOME/squeak directory.
Then I untarred, where it created a 3.0 subdirectory.  Reading and
following the instructions in BUILD.UnixSqueak got me a build that
runs.  I didn't bother with a make install but I did do the prefix thing
in anticipation.

The image is now at 3.1alpha level and has up to update 3892.

I do have a couple of questions though about behavior of the system.
There seem to be two anomalies peculiar to this system; one curious and
the other down right annoying.

The ears on the Squeak mouse are squared on just the inside edge and the
colors are off.  It seems to be missing the red and so all of the
screens are blues, aquas, and greens. If I go to the local Xterm on the
Unix server I get a slightly different color rendering, this time
everything has a black bias to it like backgrounds and things.

What's curious is that 2.7 renders correct colors on the Unix box for
both MVC as well as Morphic windows.

Oh, and one other thing, if I start to work in say a System Browser I
begin to get messages to the stdout/stderr window of:

input event buffer overrun

If there are any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Steve Gilbert